Sunday, June 25, 2006

My first "job"

Today was my first day at Martinez Book Store and it was fun. I got there and Mr. Martinez was there, he gave me a hug then said "get an apron" and for the girls to show me what to do. So the first thing I did was put up new displays. When I was putting one up a man asked me a question in Spanish. I swear the only word I understood was "libro". I had to get Hilary my boss to answer him. It turned out he was asking me if he could take a book of the display. I had no idea what he said.

Later I got to put price tags and barcode numbers on the new box of books they got. It took a while because I couldn't get the stupid backs off the stickers. While I was doing this a guy came and sat across from me and he began talking to me in a language that I knew was NOT Spanish. I never heard it before. He said he was sorry and that he was talking in Mixtec (Mish-tech) his native language (Its pretty cool). He knows English, Spanish and Mixtec. He said he was a "drifter" and he was talking to me just about random stuff. Then he asked me what my birthday sign was and I told him a Leo and he said "oh from the Gregorian Calendar" he said in his culture I would be a Zapata like he is. He said I am very spiritual. So that was my first day and it was really fun.

No comments: